Park bench, Village Green Park
Photo by Bob Delaney/D2 Gallery

VIS History

YARMOUTH VILLAGE IMPROVEMENT SOCIETY:
ADVOCATING FOR YARMOUTH SINCE 1911

The Yarmouth Village Improvement Society (VIS) was organized in 1911 "to protect and improve the natural advantages and the pleasing symmetry of Yarmouth, to excite and foster an interest and love of said town and to ... engage in any work that will aim to accomplish this end"

At the turn of the 20th century, Yarmouth was a bustling harbor town featuring a busy port, the well used Grand Trunk Railroad Depot, and mills situated along its two rivers. However, the demands of industrial development quickly highlighted the need for "the undertaking ... of public improvement and the interests of the town in general"--the prospect of which quickly fired the enthusiasm of a number of public-spirited citizens. Thirty-six ladies, all members of the Yarmouth Woman's Club and the Fortnightly Club, came together in 1911 to form the Yarmouth Village Improvement Society.

From 1911 through 1929, the VIS...

The 1930s and 1940s brought difficult times for all. The VIS divided its time, supporting community and country...

In the 1950s and 1960s...

The 1970s, 1980s, and 1990s saw a variety of historic improvements...

By the turn of the century and 2010s, the VIS found new opportunities...

The VIS also has been a steadfast supporter of the Merrill Memorial Library, the Royal River Conservation Trust and the Yarmouth Historical Society. The VIS continues to partner with the Town of Yarmouth, the Yarmouth Community Services (YCS), and Yarmouth Cares About Neighbors (YCAN) in many projects for the community.